EzineArticles.com

Monday, August 9, 2010

Angels in Disguise

(Photography - Vimal Tandan)

What I wish to share today has something to do with what happened few months back, before the rains. Then it was a regular routine for me and my baby to take a stroll in the garden.

One fine day, we happened to meet this 70 something year old, Gujarati speaking gentleman, who was taking a walk. With a smiling countenance, dressed in white, and hair completely white as snow, he looked at us and smiled. He then came forward and asked me "Is this your daughter". In his language "Beti che"? for which I replied "YES". And then smilingly, he lifted both his hands and gestured as if he was blessing us.

Few days later, we happened to meet an old lady, dressed in pink. The conversation began in a rather rude way though…but which I later realized was her way of sharing her concern for us, or her own learning through experience. The next day, I happened to see her sit on one of the benches in the garden, from where she waved to me. The following 5-10 minutes were then spent talking. Later, when I stood to bid her goodbye, she said ‘Jeete reh’. Which means 'Blessings on you.'

Then on, there were many others whom we met regularly in the garden. But both these identities are very strong in my mind, as 2 figures whom I wish to term as ‘Angels in Disguise’. They didn’t give me anything, didn’t offer me any sort of help. I do not even know who they are, where they came from. But what they did to me…has left a lasting impression of what I would like to call 'Divine Love'. Without even knowing me ‘They blessed me’. What I learnt is…some simple deeds can be special & meaningful.

I have watched the movie ‘EVAN ALMIGHTY’ many times. And it is one of my favorites. Today I am actually able to connect certain core dialogues of this movie with my own life. A slight background of this movie for those who haven't seen it. (Morgan Freeman plays the character of God. Evan is the main character who prays and asks God for strength, as he has been elected as the US Congressman and needs the wisdom and guidance to change the world.) To answer his prayer, God (Morgan Freeman) actually appears to him…and in their conversation tells him “People who want to change the world, just don’t know where to begin.” His solution to Evan was simple…Build an ARK.

ARK - One ‘Act of Random Kindness’

Many of us wish to do many things for the sick, needy, helpless. But just don’t know where to begin. Outside our sheltered lives, is a dying world. Homeless children, sick men and women, deserted parents, HIV infected people abandoned by their own families, widows; mothers selling their bodies to earn a loaf of bread for her kids, innocent children who are made to believe that ‘Pain is Pleasure’, little kids falling prey to evil and heinous crimes of men.

What this world needs is An ARK – Act of Random Kindness.

God has uniquely crafted each one of us. He has gifted us creatively. Together hand in hand, we can make a GREAT difference in many lives. We can build an ARK.

Step by step…moment by moment…may be by just learning to Smile.

In these past days, I have missed many opportunities to help or be of help to someone out there. My prayer to God is ‘Use me as an Angel in Disguise in this world’.

God bless.

If you can spare a few more minutes, do view the video below. Pukar - A song for a cause. Be Blessed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrI2Ah1xLXs&feature=player_embedded

5 comments:

  1. Love it...speaks to us as a family and affirms what we are doing in supporting some friends of ours in their ministry.
    Good going babes - hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you nono! May God continue to lead u in every way. hugs to you too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thought Carol. Also your writing is definitely getting better. Way to go! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Rohini. Ur comment really means a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Be generous and you will be prosperous. Help others, and you will be helped."

    ReplyDelete